Bruce A. Ralston Bruce A. Ralston
 Calendar  |  Driving Directions  |  Bankruptcy and Legal Links 
 · Lemon Law
 · Downloads
Click for the BBB Business Review of this Attorneys & Lawyers - Bankruptcy & Taxes in Memphis TN

There is one unsecured claim that I want to pay in full. Why can't I do that?


You probably can, especially if you have a good reason. For instance, in a Chapter 13 if you owe money to a doctor or a dentist, and you need to keep seeing that doctor, you can arrange for him to be paid just like a priority creditor would be paid. He would not get any interest, but he would be paid in full over time (assuming you can afford to do that).

In a Chapter 7 you can reaffirm any debt, as long as both the debtor and the creditor are willing. In a reaffirmation, you sign a written agreement to keep paying that debt, even if it is unsecured and could have been completely discharged. In fact, you don’t even have to do that. Even if the debt is discharged, you can voluntarily pay it after the case is closed. But without a signed reaffirmation agreement, the creditor cannot do anything to force you to pay, so if you want to keep that particular creditor happy, you might want to consider proposing to reaffirm that debt.