Bruce A. Ralston Bruce A. Ralston
 Calendar  |  Driving Directions  |  Bankruptcy and Legal Links 
 · Lemon Law
 · Downloads
Click for the BBB Business Review of this Attorneys & Lawyers - Bankruptcy & Taxes in Memphis TN

Somebody claims that I owe them money, but it is not true. What can I do about that?

The bankruptcy process is by far the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to get rid of a problem like that. A creditor is required to file a claim for any debt, and must be ready to prove that the money is really owed. If the creditor does not file a claim within the time limit (even if the debt is legitimate), then the debt is wiped out ("discharged") as soon as the case completes successfully. If they do file a claim, then we will file an objection to that claim. If he cannot prove that the debt exists, then his claim is denied, and again, that debt is discharged in full when your case completes successfully. Without the bankruptcy process, the only other way to get rid of this problem would be to have a trial in state court, which could cost you more than the amount of the alleged debt.